Children & Youth With Special Health Care Needs
The Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs Program provides assistance statewide for individuals from birth to age 21 who have, or are at increased risk for a disease, defect or medical condition that may hinder their normal physical growth and development and who require more medical services than children and youth generally. The Program focuses on early identification and service coordination for individuals who meet medical eligibility guidelines. As payer of last resort, the CYSHCN Program provides limited funding for medically necessary diagnostic and treatment services for individuals whose families also meet financial eligibility guidelines.
To Missouri residents who meet medical and financial eligibility guidelines.
To be eligible for the program an individual must:
- Be a Missouri resident
- Be birth to age 21
- Have an eligible special health care need (conditions such as Cerebral Palsy, Cystic Fibrosis, Cleft Lip and Palate, Hearing Disorders, Hemophilia, Paraplegia, Quadriplegia, Seizures, Spina Bifida, and Traumatic Brain Injury)
- Meet financial eligibility requirements for funded services (families income at or below 185% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines)
The program provides two primary services:
- Service coordination for all participants, regardless of financial status.
- Outreach/Identification and Referral/Application
- Eligibility Determination
- Assessment of Needs
- Resource identification, referral and access
- Family support
- Service Plan Development/Implementation
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Limited funding for medically necessary diagnostic and treatment services for participants whose families meet financial eligibility guidelines
- Funded services may include but are not limited to: doctor visits, emergency care inpatient hospitalization, outpatient surgery, prescription medication, diagnostic testing, orthodontia and prosthodontia (cleft lip/palate only), therapy (physical, occupational, speech and respiratory), durable medical equipment, orthotics, hearing aids, specialized formula, and incontinence supplies.
CYSHCN is the payor of last resort. The Service Coordinator will assist the participant/family with resource identification and referral. All third party liability must be exhausted prior to accessing CYSHCN funds.
Service Coordinator map: http://health.mo.gov/living/families/shcn/pdf/CYSHCNSCMap.pdf
Region 9 counties served by Wright County Health Department:
- Christian, Douglas, Greene, Ozark, Shannon, Stone, Taney, Texas Webster and Wright
For more information contact:
Email: [email protected]